It is hard to know how to start an article these days without saying something like “these are strange, unprecedented times”, because they truly are. Shelter in place has meant so many of our beloved independent retail stores have closed to obey the state order and help prevent the spread of Covid-19. This has hit our independent business community so hard, but I admire the creative ways they have come up with to still do business and have enjoyed supporting and sharing them on social media.
The impact this crisis will have on our local economy is hard to fathom. The good news is that there are ways we can all support the small businesses that make our communities so special and I feel it’s our duty to go out of our way to do so if we have the means. In this blog I will do my best to share what some of my favorite locals have to offer.
Here are some things you can do to
Spruce UP while you Shelter IN
- Change out some old accessory items around the home. Find some great new ones like pillows and wall art at Wyckwood House online. You can also send something special as gifts to other people. Now is the time to send “just because” or “thinking of you” gifts.
- Purge your closets – put anything you have not worn in over a year in a box to donate later or take to a great consignment shop like Paula’s in Batavia. Then you can treat yourself and add just a few new pieces. Paula has been doing FB live fashion shows every day. You can watch and comment on things you want to buy right there, purchase and she will deliver.
- Clean out your pantry and fridge. Make a list of all the food items you really use on a weekly basis. Make that your go to replenish list – check off items once used so you know when to re-buy. Don’t stress about going to the grocery store all the time – local Oberweis can deliver to your door not just great Milk & Ice Cream but meats, cheeses, eggs, healthy snacks and more! There are many delivery services for other household needs as well, take advantage of them! This is one major stress you can really take out of your life by shopping more online.
- Spruce up the front door area/porch. Get out there and sweep the cobwebs off and wipe down the light fixture. Maybe order a new doormat online – you know the new trend is layering? Go ahead and get a new door paint color picked out. Once we are back up to 70 degrees you can give it a fresh coat. Post a photo of the front of your home & front door and I will give you 3 paint color suggestions. Post to FB group In The House With Chris
- Spruce Up YOU! Get moving and get a little healthier. Local fitness trainer and spa owner Angela Fetterrolf has been posting on her fb page Commit To Be Happy and Healthy many beauty products, workouts routines, and my personal favorite Isagenix healthy shakes and more. I start my day off each morning with one of these shakes and it makes me feel great and energized!
I have created 3 Facebook Groups that I hope will help in the support of business and all residents of our local communities –
In The House With Chris – where you may have discovered this blog. I am sharing everything that is inside the home from decorating tips to recipes and entertaining ideas. I also post a local businesses that have specials or offers in this category. I from time to time will share my exclusive Interior Designer secret discounts too! Visit to enter a special giveaway contest going on now!
Love Where You Live Fox Valley – group I started earlier last year. I just wanted an open forum group where ALL business owners could post Grand Openings, Store Events, Specials & Sales.
And lastly, West Suburb Covid 19 Swap & Share – this is a group that I hope will not stay active long. Here folks can post needs that they have during our shelter in place and post if they have an abundance of an item they would like to share. People can also ask to Swap – example: “Will trade TP for Eggs”
Stay Healthy & Stay Kind!